EVENT: I Learnt to eat Green Tea Leaves from Japan Tea Master!

September 21, 2017

chawan-chasen-matcha

Even I am a coffee person, I am still always drawn to the art of Japanese green tea.
Ever since I watch those TV program that briefly talk about how Japanese brew and enjoy their green tea, I told myself I must learn that one day, probably when I visit Japan.

I just found out lately, that I no need to travel to Japan to learn this art, I can learn this from the Japanese Tea Workshop organized by Iloha Culture Centre.

About Iloha Culture Centre

ILOHA was established in 2013 by Tetsuo Oda and Yuko Oda.

You must be wondering, why the name Iloha? Because I did too.

Iloha means "ABC" in traditional Japanese language, it reflects the belief of the founder that we can always learn something new from scratch and have fun doing it.

Iloha Culture Centre is basically like a platform, for people like us to experience Japanese culture and lifestyle through classes and events, such as cooking classes, language studio, Ikebana (Japanese flower arrangement), and of course tea workshop, making the famous Japanese matcha!

Japanese Tea Workshop

Iloha partnered up with Maiko Tea from Kyoto, Japan; their tea are top quality and received numerous awards for the supreme quality of its tea product, both locally and internationally.

We even got the chance to learn about this art from Toshiya Nakabo, the Nihon Cha (Japanese Tea) Instructor all the way from Japan.

toshiya-nakabo-teaching
Mr. Toshiya Nakabo conducting the class, he only speaks Japanese, hence the lady in black shirt beside him serves as his translator.

The class started with introduction of Maiko Tea, the plantation method, different procedure to further process the tea leaves, and followed by a bit of insights about various kind of Japanese tea, and different methods to brew them.

type-of-japanese-tea
Various types of Japanese tea leaves: Sencha, Gyokuro, Matcha, Karigane, Tencha, Genmaicha, Happiness tea and Hojicha.

Then it was the most anticipated part of the class, whereby we get to hands on and brew our own tea.


Gyokuro Tea

It was my first encounter with Gyokuro tea. I was told that Gyokuro is one of the most supreme and expensive tea in Japan, the Japanese only serve it during special occasion or with guests only.

gyokuro-teapot-teacup-tray
The small pot and tea cup for making and tasting of Gyokuro. One small pot like this is good to be share by group of 3-5 people.

When everyone told me that it tasted like chicken soup, I don't believe it at all!
I was like "come on guys, this is tea workshop!"

gyokuro-brew-teacup
Kampai! It was only a few drops in each cup for the 3 of us, and the color is so light, but I can't believe the taste when I put it in my mouth, it really DOES taste like chicken soup.

The taste of Gyokuro is so strong, and we were supposed to enjoy sip by sip, imagine small sip yet it still taste so strong.

Since Gyokuro is so expensive, we are not supposed to waste it, we were told to EAT the tea leaves too.

puiyeesss-eating-gyokuro
Not kidding guys, really eating it. They taught us to taste it raw and with shoyu, I like it with shoyu and I eat a lot, everyone thought I was hungry. LOL

The Gyokuro session was really eye opening, I never expected I'd eat tea leaves with shoyu! LOL

Matcha Making Experience

Finally, it was the time to experience matcha making that I saw a lot on TV.

toshiya-nakabo-whisking-matcha
Mr. Toshiya Nakabo was demonstrating how to whisk matcha properly; left hand straight, holding Chawan (matcha bowl) and Chasen (bamboo whisk) on right hand, whisking in forth and back only.

toshiya-nakabo-chasen-kesenaoshi
I never know what this is, I always thought this is some sort of decorative items.

Mr. Toshiya Nakabo was showing us the amount of hot water that we supposed to fill, and the small holder can be used as holder and Chasen Kusenaoshi (whisk holder) at the same time.

puiyeesss-making-matcha
Practice makes perfect.

matcha-chasen-chawan
The correct way of holding Chasen, and the matcha I made.

Thereafter we were taught about the ceremony of enjoying matcha, from admiring the design of the bowl, thanking myself for making matcha and lastly turning the bowl clockwise twice before drinking it.

It is no wonder why people say making matcha can help one to calm down, it require a lot of attention to details, patience and heart to appreciate.

It was a really fun-filled and fruitful afternoon.

If you are thinking tea workshop like this is expensive, I can guarantee you not. It costs only RM70 nett for a session like this, you can reserve your seats here.

stepheny-toshiya-nakabo-puiyeesss
From left: Stepheny, Mr. Toshiya Nakabo and myself, with the souvenir from Mr. Toshiya Nakabo.

Up and Coming

Iloha Cafe is coming soon, serving authentic Japanese tea, dessert and cuisine, making Japanese culture available all under one roof.




Connect with Iloha Culture Centre

Official Website | Facebook

21-1 Jalan Telawi 2,
Bangsar Baru,
59100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Tel: 03-2202 2800



Connect with Maiko Tea

Official Website | Facebook



💫 Follow my social media for more live updates ✨


Blog | Facebook | Instagram

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. so after you learn, can be TEA MASTER also already ya? :D.. teach me, oh guru Pui Yee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's simply an eye-opening experience to gain! I'm a matcha fans anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't mind trying to eat green tea leaves with shoyu... hehehe... looks great...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have interest to learn all about matcha, from tea farming to tea in my cups! One of the reason i wish to visit Japan is to visit the famous tea farm and learn how they cultivate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a new experienced! a sholud try this. btw i love green tea too

    ReplyDelete
  6. seem you have a lot of fun on the class!!! oh man i miss out this =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did it when I was in Tokyo. They teach us how to blend good green tea and drink too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's never too late to learn anything! The classroom is so spacious and learning something new is a fun and interesting things to do!

    ReplyDelete

SA